Sunday, June 30, 2013

Rewatching Lost: Season 2

Previously on Rewatching Lost:
Rewatching Lost
The First 20 Episodes
Season 2, Episode 3
Stuff That I Don't Want to Forget to Notice
Analucia and Mr. Eko

I just finished season 2. It was very entertaining. If the entire rest of the series had followed this train of thought, it would have been fantastic. As it stands, however, just like season 1, season 2 has absolutely nothing to do with the ultimate story line. Like literally nothing. Season two is all about the hatch and pushing the button. Also they introduce the Dharma Initiative and we get to watch the orientation videos to the swan station and the pearl station. At the end of season two Desmond turns the failsafe key on the hatch, probably just so they don't have to keep writing someone in there pushing the button.

Again, what really bothers me about season 2 in retrospect is that it has nothing to do with the ultimate story line. It was massively entertaining and managed to answer a bunch of questions while raising a bunch more, specifically with the Dharma Initiative stuff. In the finale of season 2 they introduce Charles Widmore and Penny Widmore, the only plot points that will be relevant for the remainder of the series. I just wish they had focused on the Dharma Initiative instead of all the other stuff they introduced. As it stands, the Dharma Initiative has nothing to do with seasons 5 or 6 or the ultimate story they told. It was just a red herring. At least that's how I remember it.

There are tons of clues that they are in purgatory, too many to even list. Also they raise the possibility that the entire series is just taking place within Hurley's mind. This is never broached again, but I had forgotten this episode, and this interpretation is probably as valid as any other that's offered in the remainder of the series. I know it's not the intended interpretation, but it's certainly as valid as the rest.

I'm sortof already dreading watching seasons 3 and 4, and I'm wondering if I'll get through them without getting super frustrated. I don't know. I guess we'll see.

On the next episode of Rewatching Lost:
Season 3

No comments: